What do these documents teach us about the history of America?
Second paragraph ( body 1 ) .. write about the first document "Martin Luther king” "
Third Paragraph ( body 2 ) .. write about the second document "Jane Adams” "
Fourth paragraph ( body 3 ) .. write about the similarities about the first document "Martin Luther king " and the second document " Jane Adams”
Jane Addams, “Why Women Should Vote”, 1915
History 199 Paper Assignment
You will be writing a paper this semester that will develop your ability to read historical
sources and write about those sources in order to make a historical argument. I have assigned a
number of historical documents from various periods of the country’s history. Each of these
documents is an example of a historical figure talking/writing about an important event or issue
facing the country and how they interpret what it means, or should mean, to be an American.
You will read these documents and choose at least two of them to analyze for the paper. The
primary questions you will need to answer are the following:
1. Who was the person who created this document and why did they create it?
2. What events, issues, or themes do they talk about in this document?
3. What is the main theme that connects these documents, such as freedom, equality, or
4. How would the historical authors of your documents answer the question underlined
above in connection to these events, issues, and/or themes?
5. What do these documents teach us about the history of America?
Answer preview for what do these documents teach us about the history of America?