List the five basic concepts that make up the modern day cell theory
Answer the following questions with Short answers (2-3pgs)
1. List the five basic concepts that make up the modern-day cell theory.
2. What are four general functions of the cell membrane?
3. What are the primary functions of membrane proteins?
4. By what four major transport mechanisms do substances get into and out of cells?
5. List four important factors that influence diffusion rates.
6. State three general characteristics of osmosis that define its role in the body.
7. List (a) the non membranous organelles and (b) the membranous organelles of a typical cell.
8. What are the four major functions of the endoplasmic reticulum?
9. List the four stages of mitosis in their correct order of occurrence.
10. Suppose that a DNA segment has the following nucleotide sequence: CTC ATA CGA TTC AAG TTA. What is its complementary mRNA strand?
11. What role does the sodium-potassium exchange pump play in stabilizing the resting membrane potential?
12. Experimental evidence shows that the transport of a certain molecule exhibits the following characteristics: (1) The molecule moves along its concentration gradient; (2) at concentrations above a given level, there is no increase in the rate of transport; and (3) cellular energy is not required for transport to occur. What type of transport process is at work?
13. Solutions A and B are separated by a semipermeable barrier. Over time, the level of fluid on side A increases. Which solution initially had the higher concentration of solute?
14. In kidney dialysis, a person’s blood is passed through a bath that contains a mixture of several ions and molecules. The blood is separated from the dialysis fluid by a membrane that allows water, small ions, and small molecules to pass but does not allow large proteins or blood cells to pass. What should the composition of the dialysis fluid be for it to remove urea (a small molecule) without changing blood volume (removing water from the blood)?
Answer preview for List the five basic concepts that make up the modern day cell theory
Access the full answer containing 600 words by clicking the below purchase button