Critically assess the potential for resource mobilization theory
Select one of the following:
1. Critically assess the potential for resource mobilization theory to explain the emergence of particular social movements at particular times. Use example movements to illustrate your points.
2. According to theorists using the concepts of ‘political opportunity structure’ and ‘political process’, what contextual factors determine the development of social movements? Critically engage with the strengths and limitations of this theory.
3. According to many theorists of New Social Movements, US theories of movements were concerned only with ‘how’ questions of social movement
emergence, not the ‘why’. Critically examine to what extent this is overcome in the new social movements approach.
4. Critically analyze the strengths and weaknesses of framing approach concerning the role of culture in development of social movements. Illustrate
your answer with empirical examples.
5. In what ways might it be possible to explain the impacts resulting from social movement activity? Critically examine the theoretical and methodological challenges that need to be overcome in studying movement ‘success’ or ‘failure’.
6. In what ways does globalization provide possibilities for transnational activism? Critically asses how such activism might differ from movements traditionally studied by social movement scholars.
7. Critically examine the ways the two concepts of ‘everyday resistance’ and ‘revolution’ can contribute to development of the field of social movement studies. Explain with examples.
8. Critically evaluate the challenges and prospects of globalizing social movement studies.
Answer preview for critically assess the potential for resource mobilization theory