What can we do to better support people with severe disabilities to lead more self-determined lives
What can we do to better support people with severe disabilities to lead more self-determined lives?
Respond to any two of the questions below AND the List of Privileges
1. Self-Determination – Wehmeyer has been one of the strongest advocates for self-determination for everyone. He cites self-determination as referring to: “volitional actions that enable one to act as the primary causal agent in one’s life and to maintain or improve one’s quality of life.” Why is self-determination so important? What can we do to better support people with severe disabilities to lead more self-determined lives?
2. Employment – Bagenstos describes the history of sheltered workshops and advocates against the continuation of subminimum wages. Why do you think we remain wedded to sheltered workshops as an outmoded service model? How successful has your state been in embracing Employment First models?
3. Customized Employment – Callahan describes new methods for creating jobs to fit the talents of the person, including the “Discovery Process.” How do you think customized employment more effectively meets the needs of people with disabilities for finding employment?
4. How can we replace segregated Sheltered Workshops with community integrated services and programs? Respond to the Masterson article, “Op-ed: Vermont Setting the Standard for Supported Employment.”
5. Here is a list of fifteen privileges many people feel are important but which many people with disabilities are denied. – particularly those in public care. Choose three that you are willing to give up. Please discuss which three you chose and why. Respond to two of your classmate’s choices.
List of Privileges
1. Being involved in the choice of where you live.
2. Being allowed to have a cell phone and to use it without another adult overhearing what is said (remember that many people may need assistance to use the telephone).
3. Deciding with whom you will spend time.
4. Deciding what food (and amounts of food) you want to eat.
5. Deciding at what time you will go to bed and get up in the morning.
6. Deciding what clothing to wear and how you will wear your hair.
7. Being allowed to earn money and deciding how to spend it.
8. Deciding to have or not to have an intimate sexual relationship with another person.
9. Deciding how to decorate your room and where to keep your possessions.
10. Deciding how much time you will spend with other people.
11. Deciding when and where you will go out or if you will go out at all.
12. Making decisions about your own morals and value system.
13. Deciding who will be your friends.
14. Deciding what you will watch on television or what music you will listen to.
15. Determining personal goals for your life.
Answer preview for What can we do to better support people with severe disabilities to lead more self-determined lives
Access the full answer containing 485 words by clicking the below purchase button.