Evaluate the Critical Appraisal of Quantitative Research
Evaluate the Critical appraisal of quantitative research. Purpose of the Assignment: The purpose of this activity is to provide the student with an opportunity to select a quantitative research article and critique the article to determine whether there is consistency between the problem statement, research design, population selected, data collection methods and conclusions drawn from the data analysis and their relevance to nursing practice.
1. Work on the following research article for critique:
“Can therapy dogs improve pain and satisfaction after total joint arthroplasty? A randomized controlled trial”
The article is on a separate attachment and has the following citation:
Harper, C. M., Dong, Y., Thornhill, T. S., Wright, J., Ready, J., Brick, G. W., & Dyer, G. (2014). Can therapy dogs improve pain and satisfaction after total joint arthroplasty? A randomized controlled trial. Clinical orthopedics and related research, 473(1), 372-9.
2. Determine if there are any problems in:
– the problem statement (purpose of the study) as it relates to the research type
– in the design,
– population selected,
– data collection methods and data analysis used,
– and the conclusions drawn.
Note the discrepancies (if any) in the integrity of the study.
3. Note whether the review of the literature supports the direction/need for the research.
Answer preview: Evaluate the Critical Appraisal of Quantitative Research