This paper answers questions related to various sell principles
You are an experienced salesperson in the sales department of an apparel manufacturing company. Your manager has scheduled a meeting at your facilities in two weeks with an executive group from SmartLook, a clothing retailer. You have been assigned to meet with these important customers.
Information you have at this point includes the fact that SmartLook likes to “buy low”, but normally places large orders. However, your company prefers to “sell high.” Also, your company might not be able to deliver huge orders unless it invests in new facilities.
The team SmartLook is sending includes three people: the vice president of marketing, the purchasing manager, and a designer. They are interested in developing a collection for next season and determining a price with you. They also want to place a trial order at the price that would be the same as for a large bulk) order. They will ask for delivery of the trial order to be made two weeks after you meet with them and agree on terms. Two problems with this request are: (a) the trial order is well below the minimum quantity your company is willing to accept and (b) your company normally needs one month to fill a new order.
In preparing for the upcoming meeting, answer the following questions:
1. How can you use adaptive selling to deal with the issues in this situation?
2. What will you need to do to create a value added presentation to the SmartLook group?
3. How can other departments in your company help you build a long term partnership with SmartLook?
4. What aspects of opportunity management can you, the salesperson, use in coping with these significant customers?
5. What principles of negotiation may play a key role in the meeting with the SmartLook executives? Explain how.
6. What common types of buyer concerns do the following possible statements indicate?
a. We are concerned that you will not be able to meet our quality requirements;
b. Your price is too high;
c. Either take this trial or we will look for another manufacturer.
Provide positive approaches you might use to resolve these concerns.
Answer preview for this paper answers questions related to various sell principles